Projects for Wildlife
The work and history of the Udawalawe Elephant Research Project.
Get to know our founder, Dr. Shermin de Silva, and how Trunks & Leaves was born.
A Travel Companion
Why Ethical Elephant Experiences matter for protecting Asian elephants.
All about Asian elephants!
Listen as Dr. Lizzie Webber, C.O.O. of Trunks & Leaves, tell us of her academic journey and T&L's conservation efforts
Sri Lanka, Elephant Island
By BBC Natural World (BBC2)
A documentary produced by Mike Birkhead Associates and filmed by Martyn Colbeck about the Asian elephants in Uda Walawe national park. In consultation with the Uda Walawe Elephant Research Project.
By Untamed Science
Why do we need large animals like elephants? This short animation explores the important role elephants play in their ecosystems.
- Social Impact Heroes: Why and How Dr. Shermin de Silva of 'Trunks & Leaves' Decided to Change Our World - Authority Magazine (October 21 2020).
- Sri Lanka: Elephant Island - Mike Birkhead Associates & BBC Natural World (aired 9th August 2013, BBC2).
- Coming back home for the love of elephants - The Sunday Times (2 November 2014).
- Leave The Woolly Mammoth Alone - The Tyee (23 November 2021)
- On World Elephant Day (and every day) humans should stay away from wildlife - Mongabay, 11 August 2021
- Farmers move to occupy a critical elephant corridor in Sri Lanka - Mongabay (13 April 2021)
- Elephants Loom Large Over Habitat Research - SEEMA Magazine (April 2021)
- This Campaign is Telling People How to Behave Around Elephants - Outlook Traveller (February 9 2021)
- New Campaign Tells Tourists How to Behave Around Elephants - Treehugger (September 12, 2020)
- When Poor Elephants Can't Fathom Political Thinking - Daily Mirror (February 5 2021)
- There is An Answer to the World's Deadliest Human-Elephant Conflict - New Scientist (October 16 2019)
- Scientists Propose Rethinking "Endangered Species" Definition to Save Slow Breeding Giants - EurekAlert! (May 17 2019).
- The Folly of Fences - The Sunday Times, Opinion (August 19 2018; see blog entry, with photos).
- Opinion: Irrelevant, Illogical and Illegal - 24 Experts Respond to Arguments Supporting Legalization of the Ivory Trade - National Geographic, A Voice For Elephants (October 2 2014).
- Q & A: Conservation Challenges in Sri Lanka - A Conversation with Shermin de Silva - A Voice For Elephants, National Geographic (16 July 2014).
- Uda Walawe: Flaunting laws and fueling human-elephant conflict - The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka, 21 November 2010).
- Buzz Off! Elephants Give Bees a Wide Birth - Cosmos Magazine (26 January 2018)
- Elephants are Very Scared of Bees. That Could Save Their Lives - New York Times (26 January 2018)
- Asian Elephant Herds Lack Clear Matriarchs, Strict Hierarchy: New Study - Mongabay (18 October 2016)
- Dwarf Elephant Beats Up Big Rival - BBC Earth (7 January 2015)
- Rare Sighting of a Dwarf Asian Elephant Battling A Rival...And Winning! - EarthTouch News (7 January 2015)
- Elephant ‘Speaks’ Like A Human – Uses Trunk To Shape Sound - National Geographic (2 November 2012).
- Asian Elephants Are Social Networkers - ScienceNOW ( 26 July 2011).
- Elephant Study Reveals Social Bonds, Communication Skills - Voice of America (radio interview, 29 August 2011).
- Social Networking Elephants Never Forget - Science Daily (26 July 2011)
- Social Networks Rule Among Asian Elephants - Livescience / MSNBC / Mother Nature Network (29 July 2011).
- Tracing Social Networks Of The Asian Elephant - New York Times (1 August 2011).
- Auch Asiens Elefanten Haben Soziale Netze (Asian Elephants Also Have Social Networks) - Zeit Online (8 August 2011).